Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Nerolie makes edible treats

I love baking. I love creating and decorating and eating.
This post is going to be a look back on some of the creations I have made over the past few months.
In future I will post on a bake by bake basis.

Last night I whipped up these chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese icing. Chocolate cream cheese and vanilla cream cheese.
Big big fan of cream cheese icing as it is relatively easy to make by hand as turning on the mixer at 10pm and waking the baby is not an option.
Chocolate cake was a box mix (shhhh) made tastier by substituting milk for the water and half melted butter for the oil.
Cream cheese icing
60g butter
120g cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla extract
And approx 1-2 cups of icing sugar. I do the icing sugar to taste so its up to you if you want it sweeter or more tart.



Last week at work was the Biggest Morning Tea for the cancer council.
I made blueberry cupcakes with a lemon curd filling and blueberry cream cheese icing.
Total hit! Delicious. My inspiration was from Pinterest. Not quite as pretty but ok with the time I had.















Not a great picture but these are some minecraft
brownies I made up for our nephews birthday.
I did use a brownie mix and made the grass icing out of a knob of melted butter, bout a tablespoon of milk, enough icing sugar for a good consistency and green food colouring.















Strawberry cupcakes with strawberry buttercream for a work friends baby shower. Note the little jelly babies on the top.
Recipe from Edmonds cookbook. Just the butter cake with strawberrys added and put into cupcake cases.











Kiwifruit cupcakes with kiwifruit buttercream.
As above, I adapted the Edmonds butter cake recipe.

















Lemon cake, three layers with lemon curd filling and a vanilla buttercream.
Also from my ever favourite Edmonds cookbook.



















Two of my finest achievements were for my darling daughters first birthday.
The first was a rainbow decorated cake. The bottom was a dairy free chocolate cake covered with vanilla buttercream and then green fondant. The top layer was a rainbow swirl butter cake (Edmonds again!) with blue fondant.
I made the rainbow out of twizlers and the cloud was fairy floss (which looked a little sad by the time I got a picture).



The next day we had a cake smash shoot with the talented women from Margan Photography.
They are simply amazing and so far we have had four shoots with them and are trying to think of reasons to have more.
I made a traditional rainbow cake for the shoot. Using Edmonds butter cake again and vanilla buttercream icing. As a side note I really should expand my cake recipe use lol.
My little Eva had a blast! All this sugar was completely new to her so the icing was too good to resist!

Photo above courtesy of Margan Photography.






No comments:

Post a Comment