Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Nerolie makes a Nani Iro Top

Next stop on my sewing journey was to go back to Tessuti for a newly organised follow up course. We had decided as a group to make a top from Nani Iro's Colourful Cloth Book (Tessuti pattern review here).
It seemed to be a top that would suit all shapes and sizes.
I arrived to the cutting table full of rolls of gorgeous fabric! How would I choose?!
Practical as ever I settled on the black Nero Giolica. It was a light gauzy fabric and the name totally spoke to me. I knew with black it would get the most wear, out and to work with a long sleeve top underneath (its getting colder you know!)
I did choose a pinstripe contrast for the back facing and inside the pockets.

Parts of this pattern were so difficult to a somewhat beginner sewer. The pockets did not seem to match up for me and the gauze like material was hard to sew.
Colette said that at least choosing a hard material would mean when I make it at home later with something different I shouldn't have any problems. Nice thought, not convinced though.
We were lucky enough to have both Colette and her mum Silva helping us out. They originally thought they would be able to sew their own top with us but with 6 beginner sewers all needing help they were flat out. So thankful to have them there as it is great being able to check with a knowledgeable sewer when you run into problems.
Took a bit over 5 hours but I left with a completed top.
Our lovely teacher Colette has blogged about the class on the Tessuti blog.
Pictures of me in the top to come :)

No comments:

Post a Comment